Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

If you know me, you know that organization is not my strong suit. Not even something I have a moderate grasp on. I try. I really, really try. But the moment I have to work and live it all goes out the window.

But once a year, I feel like I get a fresh start. A mulligan if you will. A time to announce to the world (or at least my friends and family on facebook) that this year will be different. I will be a better me. Organized, tidy, never forgetting to brush my hair and teeth before leaving the house. This will be the year! I think that has been my New Years Resolution every year for the past 5 years. I throw in a few others for good measure (eat healthier, watch less TV, locate and use my cell phone so people can actually get a hold of me) but the overriding theme is that if I could get my life organized, I would be a better me. No more realizing as I am standing at airport security that my license expired OVER two months ago.

So here it is, 2010, and I am once again filled with excitement to start being the better me that I know is in there somewhere... I hope.

But I am heading into this year with a bit of ammo.

1. The shed. Oh, the shed. I love you shed. Let me explain. My beautiful, Craftsman house, was built without a garage. No place to put tools, of which we have collected many for the numerous projects this old house has required, or the leftover materials from them all. No place for paint cans. Chemicals. Suitcases. Ladders. The list goes on (and on, and on). For Christmas my dad, step mom, husband and mother in law went in on a shed for me. BPE! That means Best Present EVER. Thank you all so much. At the moment it sticks out like a sore thumb in the side yard, but I am hoping some paint and well placed landscaping will help in time. But it is a home for all the transient building supplies, materials and tools that clogged my closets for far too long! Seriously, who builds a house without a garage?





2. I am a clipboard junkie. I have random clipboards around the house with half done to-do lists in almost every room. This year I found beautiful clipboards from Target and bought myself three. One for business, one for personal and one for, well, not sure yet, but in design you like things in groups of threes.

3. Pretty file folders. From the Dollar Tree! I like pretty things. And I want to be organized. These just might be the ticket. If it doesn't work out, I'm only out $2.

4. The Apartment Therapy Eight Week Cure (and I managed to con a friend into doing it with me). Great book from a great design blog. At least the first half of the book was good the first time I tried to follow the plan before I totally went off the rails...


5. A resolute resolution that this year will be THE year!

Now I head off into 2010. You might not even recognize me next time you see me because I will be so much, well, better. And my hair and teeth might be brushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment